Friday, January 1, 2010

1 week to go & a stomach bug

Tomorrow marks one week to go until my first ever half marathon. I have mixed emotions. I definitely think I can do it, but how well I can do it is something totally different. My desire is to mostly run the entire thing, with maybe a minute or 2 break here and there. Most of all, I just want to feel as comfortable as possible. It's a long way and a lot of time I'll be out there running. The last thing I want to feel like is "someone get me the heck out of here!".

I haven't run since Christmas Eve. I've been feeling very off. Not toally sick, but really not normal. A lot of dizziness, nausea, fatigue, constant changes in appetite. Then, last night I'm celebrating New Year's Eve with my kids... I had a glass of wine while we baked some cookies. About an hour later I felt horribly nauseous. I ended up puking all night. Then at 8am this morning, my daughter wakes up crying... she had thrown up too, for the first time ever in her life. We spent the morning curled up in bed together and nursed. My husband then took the kids and let me sleep. Thank God for him. I slept until 4pm! I felt like such a bum. I have a hard time accepting sickness because it happens so infrequently.

I'm obviosuly nervous as to how this will effect my race. It's still a week away, but I'm worried that my body will be in recouping stages. I have to hope it's just a 24-hour thing. No one else got sick which keeps me hopeful it will die with just me and the baby.

So if anyone's out there, please say a little prayer for us to get better... and for me to recoup quickly.

Happy New Year! I know my family sure won't forget this one!

2 comments:

Laura said...

praying!

Anonymous said...

I recommend that you take scheduled walk breaks during your half. I've done 25+ of of them and I still do. Especially, especially in your first. Especially if you take them during your long runs. I usually do run a mile, walk a minute. You might want to do some reading on Galloway. Some people love him, some hate him but he is an advocate for scheudled walk breaks claiming that it helps your legs recover and allows you to run longer.