Saturday, March 14, 2009

6 Tunnels to Hoover Dam

The Hoover Dam 5k was good. It was absolutely beautiful. The incredible views and scenery here make me want to NEVER leave! Especially now that I run.

The race itself was ok. I was really dissapointed because the site made it sound as if the site was newly paved... yeah well half of it was and that was only for the 1/2 marathoners. Our 5k and the second leg of the 1/2 marathon was ALL TRAIL. Rocks, dirt, uneven ground. I was a little bit peeved as I wore my new sneakers out there and they weren't honest about the course. It was gorgeous though with an elevated course along lake mead and through tunnels. Words and pictures can't describe it.

Best of all... I beat my PR by 1:47!! On a trail nonetheless! I can't wait to see how I do in 3 weeks at Lake Havasu.

Ricky is already showing his true running colors! He ran 2 miles with me yesterday. He was complaining a bit towards the end but never gave up, just slowed down a bit.

I also committed to training for a 1/2 marathon. I'm following one of Hal Higdon's traiing schedules. His couch to 5k is what got me where I am now and his plans really work well with my fitness level and family life.
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

I might still do the NJ state triathlon, but we'll see. I want to, I just don't love it like I do running. For now, 1/2 marathon in June here I come!

PS. I'm also really stupid...I didn't ice my legs or keep my shin sleeves on after the race today! WHY?! There was just so much to do when we got home and I had only gotten an hour of sleep last night. Now I'm hoping it still helps.

2 comments:

robison52 said...

Congrats on your 5k PR!! I was tempted to run the half marathon this year, but decided to stay focus on my training for the "Labor of Love 50k" next month. Ricky has a great role model in YOU!!

Unknown said...

Thanks!

I will be at Labor of Love too! I love Joyce at Calico racing. Her races are so great!

I'll be doing the 10k as my first ever and then volunteering. Good luck, you ultra runners are SO inspiring!!