Saturday, December 12, 2009

Day 50 - Half Marathon training

Training has been sporatic. One day I'm doubting I can do this at all and the next day I'm feeling excited to cross the finish line. As my feelings go back and forth, so does my training. I always keep running. I do that because I love to, but how far I run depends on if I'm "training" or not. I always keep in mind the bigger picture - my love of running, how at peace it makes me feel, how it's cheaper than therapy, and how healthy it keeps me.

Some days I feel up for the challenge of something new and other days I just want to run a couple miles instead of pushing myself. For anyone reading, that's perfectly ok to feel like that. First and foremost should be the LOVE for this sport. Yes, it's a sport. Call it maintence, call it cardio, call it a discipline. Either way, it's a sport and if you do it and love it then you're an athlete. In fact, you don't even have to love it... but you will!

Athlete: n.
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports.

I have 2 quotes in my bathroom that say
"If you have a body, you're an athlete."
"The more you run, the more you are a runner."

Some days, when I want to be mad at myself for not desiring to run 6 miles, but instead go out for only 2 or 3 miles... I remind myself that no matter what, I'm out there running and doing what I love.

So anyway...

Yesterday was 5 miles.
Today was cross-training with a 25-minue Shaun T ab workout.
Tomorrow's a long run of 7 miles. It'll be the farthest I've ever run. But only 2 more miles than what I did yesterday so I feel hopeful.

No comments: