Monday, November 17, 2008

Stroke, Stroke, Breath

Today was a swim day. I went from 6 50-laps to 10 50-laps today!

In numbers:
.17 mile last week
.28 mile today

I'm having trouble breathing to the right. I tried the 3 strokes/breath techinique, alternating sides, but everytime I took a breath on the right side I about choked. I did some drills at the side of the pool, going under and counting 2 seconds and then coming up for breath, then going right back under and doing it a few times until I had a rhythm. Then I did side drills of laying on one side in the water and coming up for air on that side, did lots of practice with this with the right side. I can do it staying still but once I'm moving, I just can't get that right side breath. I resorted back to breathing every 2nd stroke and only left sided breaths. If it works, it works. However, I'm concerned I'm exerting unnecessary energy by turning up for breath that often.

Well, I'll keep working on it. If it doesn't change then I'm just a 2 stroke left sided breather. As long as my endurance and time increases, I won't worry too much about all that other stuff.

I got some goggles today, and that helped A LOT. My center has a master's program, so I'll be doing that 2 times a week for now. It's very early! And that's coming from someone with kids. I'll pretty much get up for a feeding with the baby, put the baby back down to sleep and walk out the door. It'll take discipline, but that's what this is all about!

No comments: